Do you have a student heading off to college this year? Here are some helpful safety tips from Safe Electricity.
- Only purchase and use electrical products tested for safety; look for an approved safety label such as UL
- Avoid overloading extension cords, power strips, or outlets
- Use power strips with an over-current protector that will shut off power automatically if there is too much current being drawn
- Never tack or nail an electrical cord to any surface or run cords across traffic paths or under rugs where they can be trampled or damaged
- Use the correct wattage light bulbs for lamps and fixtures
- Make sure outlets around sinks are equipped with ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) before use – If they are not, contact the resident assistant, camping housing staff, or landlord
- Unplug small appliances when not in use and all electronics when away for extended periods
- Always use microwave-safe containers – Glass, ceramic containers, and plastics labeled “microwave-safe” should always be used – Metal and aluminum foil can damage the microwave or start a fire – If the microwave is damaged in any way, do not use it
- Smoke detectors should never be disabled, and fire alarms should never be ignored or taken casually as a drill – Every time a fire alarm sounds, residents should calmly and quickly follow practiced procedures and immediately exit the building
For more fire and electrical safety information, visit the Safe Electricity website.