Customer Assistance Programs

Programs Potentially Available to Our Customers

Pierce County Human Services:

253-798-4328 or

253-798-8700 and leave your contact info

253-798-3590 if services have been disconnected for nonpayment.

Contact them for qualifications for assistance. Leave a message at 253-798-8700 letting representative know what you are calling for a name and return phone number and they will call back. For assistance towards rent please leave message with name and phone number and what you are calling for at 253-841-8886 and you will receive a phone call back from representative for that program.

Shine a Light


Please contact to see qualifications for assistance..

Metropolitan Development Council Pierce County

 (253) 597-6710

Another agency that helps Tacoma and Pierce County Washington families. They offer dozens of programs to qualified low income individuals, including the following.

  • Energy and heating bill assistance
  • Mobile dental and medical clinics
  • Housing aid, including rent help and shelters
  • Family support services
  • Counseling
  • Referrals to local charities and non-profits
  • Information on Washington foreclosure assistance programs

The non-profit has a major focus on offering housing solutions, such as transitional housing,

Permanent placement, and limited rental assistance. Call the agency at (253) 597-6710, or continue with Metropolitan Development Council Pierce County programs.

Pierce County DSHS – Community Services Offices

(877) 501-2233. 1301

 Offers one or more of the following. ETANF/WorkFirst clients may apply for financial assistance or grants when faced with an emergency. Apply for emergency funding for paying eviction notices; utility bills including electric, gas, heating fuel, water/sewer or telephone. Homeless can apply for security deposit move-in assistance. They also administer the Additional Requirements for Emergent needs (AREN) in Pierce County 5712 Main St SW, Lakewood, WA, 98499. Call (877) 501-2233. 1301 E 72 St, Tacoma, Washington, 98404. Phone: (877) 501 – 2233

Helping Hand House – If you have a child in the home, and a utility disconnection notice, this not for profit has funds for Tacoma residents. Aid is focused on families with children. 11701 101 Ave Ct E, Puyallup, Washington, 98373, (253) 848-6096. Also, you can dial “211” and you will be redirected to the screening agent. If you have trouble with 211, call (253) 572-4357. Website: WWW.WA211.ORG

Pierce County Veterans Bureau – Military member, veterans, and families can apply for emergency assistance. Get free food, rent and utilities, all of which may be offered to qualified, indigent military members and veterans. 925 Tacoma Ave S, Suite B, Tacoma, Washington, 98402, (253) 798 – 7449

Army Community Service may have assistance for active military members, their families, and referrals for veterans. The organization provides assistance with emergency financial needs like vehicle repairs, rent, utilities, rent evictions, and other basic necessities. Aid is in the form of a grant or zero interest rate loan. Fort Lewis, Washington, (253) 967 – 7166.